Gentlemen's Monthly Videos 

NCTV45’s Gentlemens Magazine Today’s: The FoxFire Mansion

NCTV45’s Gentlemens Magazine Today’s: The FoxFire MansionNov 2, 2016The Richardsonian Romanesque mansion of Leander Raney was built circa 1891 at 330 North Jefferson Street in New Castle, Pennsylvania. Raney, who commissioned this house, was a local industrialist and community leader. He was associated with both the Raney & Berger Iron Works and Raney Milling Company, five local grist mills, a director of the Steubenville Iron Company, and owner of the first bank in New Castle. His neighbors were similarly well-off. In 1907, the Raney family moved to Cleveland and the mansion was purchased by David Jameson, the founder of Citizens National Bank and financier of Jameson Memorial Hospital, in 1907, and remained in the Jameson family until 1941. Since 1941, the mansion has changed hands, and uses, throughout the years. Apartments for nursing students at Jameson Hospital, commercial businesses, a sorority house, and a personal care home are some of the uses since the Jameson family sold the property. On June 3, 1998, tragedy struck when a large fire damaged the roof and most of the third floor. Many original details have since deteriorated. The mansion has since been purchased and is being restored slowly. Many of the homes on the North Hill such as this were designed by master architects of the period. Local architect Sidney W. Foulk designed the home which is four bays wide with a square turret asymmetrically placed north on the axis of the roof, which contains multiple gables. In the southern bay, there is a modified onion dome on the tower which sets this house apart from others in New Castle (photo 3 shows the home originally). The fenestration is irregular with one-over-one double hung, cottage type and multi-light Queen Anne style windows. Foulk was also a regional architect well-known for his powerful Romanesque Revival style churches and YMCA buildings which can be found in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. The North Hill Historic District is the third largest historic district in Pennsylvania, containing 1,728 residences, including approximately two dozen very large single-family homes that are being restored to their turn-of-the-twentieth-century grandeur.The Richardsonian Romanesque mansion of Leander Raney was built circa 1891 at 330 North Jefferson Street in New Castle, Pennsylvania. Raney, who commissioned this house, was a local industrialist and community leader. He was associated with both the Raney & Berger Iron Works and Raney Milling Company, five local grist mills, a director of the Steubenville Iron Company, and owner of the first bank in New Castle. His neighbors were similarly well-off. In 1907, the Raney family moved to Cleveland and the mansion was purchased by David Jameson, the founder of Citizens National Bank and financier of Jameson Memorial Hospital, in 1907, and remained in the Jameson family until 1941. Since 1941, the mansion has changed hands, and uses, throughout the years. Apartments for nursing students at Jameson Hospital, commercial businesses, a sorority house, and a personal care home are some of the uses since the Jameson family sold the property. On June 3, 1998, tragedy struck when a large fire damaged the roof and most of the third floor. Many original details have since deteriorated. The mansion has since been purchased and is being restored slowly. Many of the homes on the North Hill such as this were designed by master architects of the period. Local architect Sidney W. Foulk designed the home which is four bays wide with a square turret asymmetrically placed north on the axis of the roof, which contains multiple gables. In the southern bay, there is a modified onion dome on the tower which sets this house apart from others in New Castle (photo 3 shows the home originally). The fenestration is irregular with one-over-one double hung, cottage type and multi-light Queen Anne style windows. Foulk was also a regional architect well-known for his powerful Romanesque Revival style churches and YMCA buildings which can be found in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. The North Hill Historic District is the third largest historic district in Pennsylvania, containing 1,728 residences, including approximately two dozen very large single-family homes that are being restored to their turn-of-the-twentieth-century grandeur.

Related posts